Erica Jong (born 26 March 1942) is an American author and educator. Born in New York City, Jong graduated from Barnard College in 1963. She is best known for her first novel, Fear of Flying (published in 1973), which created a sensation with its frank treatment of a woman's sexual desires.
Fear of Flying (1973)
- Underneath it all, you longed to be annihilated by love...
- Each one an antidote to the one that went before. Each one a reaction, an about-face, a rebound.
- The zipless fuck is absolutely pure. It is free of ulterior motives. There is no power game . The man is not "taking" and the woman is not "giving." No one is attempting to cuckold a husband or humiliate a wife. No one is trying to prove anything or get anything out of anyone. The zipless fuck is the purest thing there is. And it is rarer than the unicorn. And I have never had one.
- Pregnancy seemed like a tremendous abdication of control. Something growing inside you which would eventually usurp your life.
- I'm just trying to lead my own fucking life if I can manage to find it in all this confusion.
- Dancing is like fucking... it doesn't matter how you look - just concentrate on how you feel.
- I want you. I want you. I want you. Anything to avoid saying: I love you.
- The ultimate sexist put-down: the prick which lies down on the job.
- Silence is the bluntest of blunt instruments.
- I'm very dependant. I fall apart regularly.
- Sheer bitchiness can be a sort of style.
- It's only when you're forbidden to talk about the future that you suddenly realize how much the future normally occupies the present.
- Exceptional people are often called crazy by the ordinary world.
- Everyone's a little crazy when you get inside their head... it's only a matter of degree.